top of page



How can we help you today?

Click on the question you would like information about:

What forms of identification are acceptable for Lake County Certificate of Title issuance?

One of the following:

  • Driver’s License from any state or country

  • State issued Identification Card from any state

  • Valid Passport from any country

  • State, Federal, or International Agency photo ID

  • Military or Veterans Identification Card

  • Government Agency Work Identification Card

  • Birth Certificate and Social Security Card


What forms of payment do you accept?

We accept cash, money orders, personal checks and traveler's checks. Personal checks must be drawn from a local bank. No starter checks are accepted. Payments are made to "Lake County Clerk of Courts." We also accept major credit cards with an added convenience fee which is 2.5% of the transaction amount or $2.00, whichever is higher. Watercraft registration payment options cash/debit/credit only


How do I obtain information regarding the history of a vehicle?

Limited vehicle information can be accessed through the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicle Title Inquiry through BMV Online Services. Formal public record requests can be submitted at any Clerk of Courts Title Office. The requester must qualify under the Bureau of Motor Vehicles guidelines and statutes.


My name has changed since my title was issued. Can I get a new title in my new name?

Ohio law provides no provision to change your name on the title. The only time a name can be changed on a title is when a change of ownership occurs or if a court order is obtained. However, you must update your registration to reflect your name change at a Deputy Registrar. If your name has changed due to marriage, and you’re selling your vehicle, assign the title with your married name and your maiden name. (Example: Jane Doe formerly Jane Smith) Please ensure you have proof of your name change.


Where should I store my title?

Choose a safe place where you store other important documents. Never leave the title in the motor vehicle. Your registration should be kept in your vehicle or with you.


How do I obtain my license plates or driver's license?

You must contact a Deputy Registrar. You can find a list of Deputy Registrars by county through the 

Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles website.


I am selling my vehicle and the buyer has requested that I leave the assignment portion of the title blank. What should I do?

Ohio law requires the seller of a motor vehicle to provide the buyer with an assigned Certificate of Title

(ORC 4505.03). To fulfill this requirement, the seller must provide the purchase price, the full name and address of the buyer, date of transfer and mileage. The Certificate of Title must be signed in front of a Notary Public who will notarize your signature. Once these steps are complete, you may present the assigned title to the buyer.

bottom of page